- General Cleaning: Soak the electrode in a 1:10 dilution of household laundry bleach in a 0.1 to 0.5% liquid detergent solution in hot water with vigorous stirring for 15 minutes. Place electrode under warm, running tap water for 15 seconds. Soak the electrode in storage solution for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove Salt Deposits: Dissolve the deposit by immersing the electrode in 0.1 M HCl for five minutes, followed by immersion in 0.1 M NaOH for five minutes, and thorough rinsing with distilled water.
- Eliminate Oil/Grease Films: Wash electrode pH bulb in mild detergent or methanol. Rinse electrode tip with distilled water.
- Clogged Reference Junction: Heat a diluted KCl solution to 60 to 80°C. Place the pH electrode into the heated KCl solution for approximately 10 minutes. Allow the electrode to cool while immersed in unheated KCl solution.
- Dispose of Protein Deposits: Dissolve the deposit by immersing the electrode in a 1% pepsin solution with 0.1 M HCl for five minutes, followed by thorough rinsing with distilled water.
For all of these, soak the electrode in storage solution for at least 10 minutes prior to use. If these steps fail to restore normal electrode response, replace the electrode.
Need more information on Oakton pH EcoTester Pocket testers?
Our Technical Experts would love to hear from you
AUS Freecall Ph. 1800 552 724 or NZ Freecall Ph. 0800 651 700